A colleague mentioned this title and I could not resist scanning the list.
They offer support to some of the funnier Dilbert cartoons, AND they should spark some reflection (maybe more) for some of us working in Global Financial Services.
1. Tell everyone they’re your customer
2. Establish SLAs and treat them like contracts
3. Tell dumb-user stories
4. Institute charge-backs
5. Insist on ROI
6. Charter IT projects
7. Assign project sponsors
8. Establish a cloud computing strategy
9. Go Agile. Go offshore. Do both at the same time
10. Interrupt interruptions with interruptions
11. Juggle lots of projects
12. Say no or yes no matter the request
If any of these ring local (or ring true), then I strongly recommend Bob Lewis’ review of these ‘best practices.’
If any of them make you wince, you might want to read an excellent response to Mr. Lewis by Dieder Pironet.
In any case, this seems like an important set of issues. Both these authors do a good job reminding us that we should avoid simply repeating any them without careful analysis & consideration.
12 ‘Best Practices’ IT Should Avoid At All Costs.
By Bob Lewis, 06-13-2017
12 ‘best practices’ IT should avoid at all costs – My stance.
By Didier Pironet, 06-19-2017